Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Meet the Real Life Alice...

Some time ago Carrie Uihlein Nilles contacted by via email to ask permission to use the design Paul and I created for her daughter Beth's cosplay.
 
Both Carrie and her daughter were fans of Alice in Wonderland and Steampunk and they had come upon my concept sketch on deviantart.
 
As Carrie mentioned in her email Beth was so happy to find something that was not all corsets and cogs but still awesome and steampunk. I was also very happy they asked my permission to use the design before just using it.
 
She mentioned that she told her daughter it is probably best to ask artists for permission whenever possible. Trying to instill some intellectual property rights values in there.
 
Which I think is incredibly thoughtful of her. And quite honestly I was incredibly flattered that they liked the design Paul and I worked really hard on to create for Beth's cosplay.
 
And the result was terrific!!
 

 
It should be mentioned that in their own way, Carrie and Beth have inspired the project too. Her statement of  "Something that was not all corsets and cogs" has become the project's battle cry for the lack of a better word.
 
And that's the influence I wanted my version of Alice to have. Not only that. Carrie and Beth did a fantastic job creating the costume!! It's for people like Carrie and Beth that makes me continue to move this project forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment